As stated above, the job search is a project management skill set. Everyone’s job search is different but the following steps can help outline and guide you along your personal search.
A well-written cover letter can entice or persuade a prospective employer to read your résumé, leading to the possibility of a future discussion. It can explain your interest in the company and your unique value-add. A cover letter is a direct, personalized response with the main objective to display your qualifications clearly, which in turn demonstrates a fit between what you can offer an employer, the value you bring, and the job description requirements.
- EPMBA Cover Letters Guide
- Video: Powerful Cover Letters: What do They Look Like & Do I Even Need One by Ross Macpherson
Preparing for an interview is a 3-step process – research, story or content preparation, and practice. This preparation is vital to confidently present your value to any interviewer and ultimately sell yourself for the role. After the interview takes place, remember to follow-up within 24 hours!
- EPMBA Interview Prep Guide
- Useful Handouts
- Video: “Why you? Preparing your Story to Answer the Inevitable Make or Break Interview Question” by Taura Prosek
- Schedule a mock interview with your Career Coach via Handshake
- Utilize Big Interview: An online tool that helps students and job seekers prepare for job interviews by creating a no-pressure environment to practice and develop their skills
- Use your @wisc.edu email address to create an account
The negotiation process is an opportunity to define, communicate, and achieve what you want out of the job offer. Negotiation requires gathering information, planning your approach, considering different alternatives and viewpoints, communicating clearly, and making decisions to reach your goal. Negotiations are an option for every new job, or every performance review. Not exclusive to external job offers, negotiation can take place for internal promotions or even continuation of a current role. The purpose in a negotiation is to increase job satisfaction and, ultimately, to improve your opportunities for job fulfillment and happiness.
- EPMBA Offer Negotiation Guide
- 8 Rules of Negotiation Every Professional Should Memorize, source: The Muse
- Helpful Websites
Job Search Video Series
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Job Search and Company Research
Pre-work Video (10 minutes): Watch Target the Right MBA Employers, by author Steve Dalton
Resource: Employer Target LAMP List
Watch video: Job Search and Company Research
Optional Pre-work Video (11 minutes): Watch Writing Powerful Cover Letter by Ross Macpherson
Action: Select one job description that interests you
Watch video: Written Communication
- Select one job description that interests you
- Read 7 Interview Skills No One Ever Told You About
- Read Job Interview Skills to Help You Get Hired
- Watch Why you? Preparing your Story to Answer the Inevitable Make or Break Interview Question
Resource: Interview Preparation Worksheet
Watch video: Interview Preparation